The 2014 Las Vegas Heart & Stroke Walk/Run is coming up on Saturday November 8th. You can participate as a walker, runner or volunteer. So far over $220,000 has been raised for the American Heart Association (AHA); the fundraising goal for this event is $320,000. This is such an important cause as one in three American die of cardiovascular disease and 60% will experience a heart attack or stroke-related event in their lifetime.
The term "heart disease" is used to describe several problems related to cardiovascular health. These conditions include but are not limited to congenital heart defects, arrhythmia, heart attack, cardiac arrest, heart failure, heart valve problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The AHA recommends "knowing your numbers" and taking steps to live a heart healthy lifestyle to enjoy a longer and healthier life. We encourage you to monitor your blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, weight, blood glucose and triglycerides. In addition to tracking you health status, here are some dietary tips for supporting a healthy heart.
- Avoid trans fat and limit saturated fat.
- Choose unsaturated fats and omega-3s like avocado, olive oil, nuts, oily fish and flax seed.
- Low fat foods have less than 3 grams total fat per serving and non-fat foods have less than 0.5 grams total fat per serving.
- Limit sodium to less than 2,000 mg daily for generally healthy people.
- Limit sodium to 1,500 mg daily for people with a history of heart problems.
- Choose foods with less than 300 mg sodium per serving.
- Include fresh fruits, vegetables and fiber-rich foods in the diet.
- Try to intake 25-30 grams of fiber daily.
- If you increase fiber intake, do so gradually and drink plenty of water.
- Manage blood glucose, diabetes is a risk factor for heart disease.
Physical activity can play a major role in heart health, talk with your physician about what type of physical activity is appropriate for you. Managing stress, quitting smoking and maintaining a healthy weight are additional ways to support your heart.
We hope you choose to live the heart healthy lifestyle and I hope to see you at the 2014 Las Vegas Heart & Stroke Walk/Run.
Stay healthy friends!