Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Trick or Treat!

As many of my friends know Halloween is my favorite holiday and it also happens to be my birthday.  I must have been born with a sweet tooth!  Not only did I get a bag full of candy from trick or treating but I also had birthday parties complete with cake and ice cream.  Now you can understand why this is my favorite holiday. 

I still enjoy Halloween a lot as an adult however as a Registered Dietitian I can't help but be amazed at all the candy that is consumed and consider the effect it can have on blood glucose.  Ever year more than 35 million pounds of candy corn is sold.  This is equivalent to 9 billion pieces which is enough to circle the moon 9 times if laid out end to end.  Impressive or frightening? I can't decide!

I encourage everyone to enjoy the holiday and all the tasty treats but don't get tricked into overindulging.  I suggest limiting candy consumption to 1-2 carbohydrate servings with meals and snacks.  To keep blood glucose from rising rapidly I recommend pairing this with a protein-rich or fiber-rich food.  Below is a list of 1 carbohydrate servings of popular Halloween candy.

  • 3 Musketers = 3 miniature bars
  • Bottle Caps = 10 pieces
  • Ande's Mints = 5 mints
  • Butterfinger = 1 fun size bar
  • Dove Milk Chocolate Promises = 3 pieces
  • Gummy Bears = 6 pieces
  • Hershey's Kisses = 5 pieces
  • Junior Mints = 1 small box
  • M&M's = 1 mini pack
  • Milk Duds = 7 pieces
  • Nerds = 1 tablespoon
  • Now & Later = 5 pieces
  • Reese's Mini Cups = 4 pieces
  • Starburst = 4 pieces
  • Tootsie Rool Mini Chews = 15 pieces
  • Twizzlers = 2 pieces
  • Werther's Original Hard Candy = 3 pieces
Remember, there are many fun Halloween activites that aren't focused on sweets.  Pumpkin carving, haunted houses, parades and costume parties are just a few ways to celebrate without the calories, added sugar and trans fat.  Whatever your plans may be, we wish you a fun and safe Halloween.

-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment