Thursday, January 2, 2014

Shopping Organic

Hi Everyone! Sorry for being so absent lately. I hope everyone had a great holiday! I am so excited for 2014. I love the fresh start that comes every January. This year I'm resolving to be kinder to my body, more present with my loved ones, and working my booty off with our new business. I feel like I'm having two babies this year… my business baby and my real baby.

Before I jump into the post I just want to give a little update on our business, Creating a New Norm. I am beyond excited for everything that we are rolling out. Already we have had some great clients and opportunities present themselves for 2014. Our website is taking a little longer than planned to get up… but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?! Hopefully, we will have it up in the next week or two, until then you can follow our business page on Facebook for updates.

So, with the new year comes resolutions. While I was grocery shopping today I noticed waaaaaaaay more people in the produce section than normal, I'm guessing those resolutions had something to do with it. When people find out I'm a dietitian I get asked some pretty common questions. One of them is about buying organic. I decided to do a little post on just that.

 Obviously, organic everything would be ideal… but holy crap is it expensive. Is there a solution? Well, I suppose you could grow your own produce. I personally can't do this option, I've killed seriously almost every plant I've ever owned. Probably a more practical solution (at least for those of us who are green thumb challenged) is knowing what the Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen are.
Some of you may have heard of these things before, but on the chance that it might be something that some of you have no idea about I decided it would be a good secret to let you in on.

The Clean Fifteen are items that have little to no pesticide residue and are safe to consume in the non organic form. Meaning you don't really need to buy the organic versions, meaning cash in your pocket. The Dirty Dozen are pretty much the opposite. The conventionally grown (read: non organic) items in this group test for AT LEAST 47 different chemicals. Ewwww, that seriously grosses me out. These are the items that you need to be buying organic. Here's the lists below:


If you want more information on the produce you're consuming feel free to visit www.foodnews.org. There you'll find tons of info about all the produce you consume. There's also information on what produce may be GMO, something some of you also might be interested in. 

This is obviously a shorter post. I really just wanted to take some time really quick to encourage you guys to stick with the goals you made for the year and maybe try to add some more fruits and veggies to your diet… the kind without the pesticides. Going organic is definitely beneficial, but can be painful to your bank account. Hopefully this list helps you find some sort of balance. 

Just to give you a little preview of my next post, I plan on talking about some foods that experts are saying are going to be hot health food items in 2014 (I don't really know who these experts are and how they decide what foods are going to be a hot commodity every year, but good for them). 

Until next time, happy reading!

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment